Saturday, February 13, 2010

Taxi to Bangladesh

If there's one thing I love about NYC, it's taxis. My love affair began when I was four years old and first raised my arm in that now-familiar gesture on the corner of 97th & Columbus. My mother promptly informed me that, no, we would be taking the bus. I thought surely she was joking but, much to my dismay, she wasn't. And thus my captivation began.

Perhaps partially in an attempt to rationalize a cab ride (when I could no doubt just as easily take a bus), I generally like to think of a Manhattan taxi ride as an opportunity to learn something new about countries I've never had occasion to visit, mostly by schmoozing with the driver. Call me an old lady - it's okay, you won't be the first.

The other day I had a very pleasant ride with a driver from Bangladesh who had picked some rather charming tunes as the soundtrack for our afternoon excursion. I complimented him on his music choice and he was visibly tickled - the passenger just before me had ALSO enjoyed the music! I inquired as to the name of the artist and was told his name was "Habib" and that I could look him up on YouTube - so I did!

Habib Wahid (better known just as "Habib", kind of like Cher) is a young Bangladeshi composer and musician who mixes traditional Bengali folk music with contemporary techno. Habib is a second-generation performer: his dad, Ferdous Wahid, was a Bengali pop singer in the '70s & '80s. Habib himself has released five albums: Maya, Moina Go..., Shono!, Panjabiwala, Bolchi Tomake and Aboseshe. He is most well-known for his song, "Din Gelo" which you can listen to by clicking here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooVJh0CDqU0

Enjoy! And may all your taxi rides be educational ones!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like Benny Lava - who is also viewable on youtube.

    ReplyDelete